2.26.2014

A Layered Retreat - My ORC Room Now

Hello!  Boy have I been going through ORC withdrawal.  I was pumped when Linda suggested that we do a 'where are they now?' type of linking party for the One Room Challenge Now.  Can not wait to see how everyone's spaces have evolved since we have last seen them. As for my bedroom, I am happy to report that it has remained much the same since the big reveal in November with only a few tweaks here and there.



If you will recall, I chose our master bedroom for the makeover.  It had been woefully ignored in the design hierarchy of our home and I decided it was high time to have a refuge in which to retire at days end - one that appealed to both my girly girl magpie sensibilities and those minimalist contemporary leanings of my mister.  Oh who was I kidding?!  I do not do minimal.  Armed with a vision of an adventurer's British Colonial-style retreat that skillfully juxtaposes the traditional with the exotic, shiny with muted, and masculine with glam set against a theatrical backdrop of layered pattern and color along with collected things, my goal was to create a cocooning space. With absolutely zilcho redeeming architectural interest, I decided to go totally dark and glossy resulting in paintmaggedon that threatened to end in divorce. #jokingnotjoking.  For that sob story, go here and click through WK1 through WK5 links.  Because seriously, I did not have paint on my walls until 3 days before the reveal and it was getting sporty.





What is new in this shot is that you can actually see the true color of the walls which is a deep green.  It was raining cats and dogs the day I shot for the reveal so a lot of folks thought the walls were black.


wall color - Ralph Lauren Deep Pool VM120 mixed in Benjamin Moore Aura semi-gloss | trim - Benjamin Moore White Down OC131 mixed in Aura semi-gloss |vintage chandelier - Vintage 937 | jute rug - Rugs USA | persian area rug - Home Emporium | chintz curtains - IKEA | woven blinds - Home Depot | abstract art - Jenny Andrews-Anderson





New here is my vintage ceramic Italian cheetah.  I am quite smitten. After lamenting over a missed zebra last year, I swooped him up like he was the last loaf of bread at Publix during a polar vortex.


ceramic Italian cheetah - Pedigree Consigments | dresser (old) - mine from childhood | knobs (old) - Anthropology | vase turned lamp base - Pedigree Consignments | lamp parts - Grand Brass





headboard - Tuesday Morning | foo dog lamps - Jonathan Adler for JC Penny | lampshades - IKEA | Ranarp sconces - IKEA | etchings (old) - Brass Armadillo | sidetable - Target | diamond matelasse duvet & bedskirt (old) - Target | mirror (old) - Home Goods




Looky loo.  After fawning over the abstract portraits that Kerry Steele whipped up for her gallery wall during the last ORC, I am over the moon to now have one for myself. Seriously. Sort of in love with how the modern abstract lines play against that old ornate frame that I picked up years ago.  Hording has its privileges.  And for those that follow along on Insta - you will recognize my busted bust that I smashed while trying to shoot this reveal in November.  I could not bare to part with her so she has assumed a ravished Juliet vigil under her modern day Romeo.

vintage chair (old) - Brass Armadillo | pillow (old) - custom | ceramic elephant (old) - from my childhood home | floor lamp (old) - Ballard Designs





compote - vintage | tray & teal stack bracelets (old) - Furbish Studio | candle - Diptyque | all other jewelry - vintage




euro pillows - custom | dragon tassel lumbars - handblocked by me | needlepoint pillow (old) - custom | coral shams - Stein Mart and monogrammed by me | crewel throw (old) - custom











stool - Home Goods | DVF tray - TJ Maxx | candle - Heyland & Whittle

The mister thought I was bonkers throughout the whole process but in the end, all the disparate pieces came together and totally work for us. In spite of all the layers, he loves it as much as I, and convincing him of the dark color, let alone the chintz curtains, was no small feat!  In fact, he thinks the rest of the house now looks like a dump.  Wha wha wha

Head over to Calling it Home to see what's new with everyone on the One Room Challenge Now.




All photos and styling by Emily Vanderputten


kisses,  mrs. V

17 comments:

Unknown said...

V, this is one fantastic room. I love every detail and the bold color. So many vignettes and beautiful styling! You did a stellar job and it is one of my favs! xo Nancy

SHERRY HART said...

This
Room
is
Stunning.
I love how eclectic it is...so many interesting corners to admire and just damn interesting. You got it perfect. Period.

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

You used so many of my favorite styles in your room. I love the accessories and... Hey! I know that guy!

Lisa Gabrielson said...

How fun! The layers are awesome. Love the tasseled shams and the creative mix of color.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I don't think that I have ever noticed that tortoiseshell standing lamp. Another amazing detail. Your photographic skills and styling is stellar. How does your husband feel about the walls now?

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

still lovin it :)

Vel Criste said...

Even more fabulous than before! Love Kerry and that painting is just perfect for that corner vignette of yours!

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

Wow it looks great! So rich a scrumptious. I love the mix.

Kim said...

Glad you haven't changed it ... don't think I'd ever tire of this room. Well, I do LOVE the addition of one of Kerry's pieces. Perfection!! xo

Rebecca { MyDarlingHouse} said...

Such a gorgeous room lady! And that cheetah, hearts-in-eyes-face!

Kristen @ Pursuing Vintage said...

Such a pretty room. I love your mix of textiles. The linens on your bed are all interesting and fun.
I need to redo my master bedroom, and this is great inspiration!

René said...

And just like that I want to paint my walls green and ditch my neutral color palette. Really, really lovely!

StagerLinda said...

Cozy and fun! I LOVE that reclining bust with the chunky necklace!~

therelishedroost said...

Gorgeous I love everything about it!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

After you produced what you did, I'm sure he has total faith in you now. You totally rock.

kate@willowinteriors said...

Jesus, I forgot how much I love this room!! Your handblocked pillows and Kerry Steele adbstract (okay, slightly jealous) are amazing. And, on a sidenote, I adore your writing style! Happy Friday! :)

Lissa said...

This is the most beautiful room I’ve ever seen. And usually I like pastels.