9.11.2014

Between the Sheets with Mrs. V

With a reputation for being particular about details, it should come as no surprise to anyone that I am finicky about my bedding.  Before we get too far into this thing, never fear.  This is NOT a promo.  This is a cry for help.  HELP ME, for cripes sakes!!!  I am on the hunt for bed sheets.  I have tried many types and brands only to come up unsatisfied.  Ever since redoing my bedroom, I have been looking to up my bed game.  The coral shams I used were merely a compromise because the set I wanted from Crane and Canopy was on back order, and I have never been happy with the stand ins.  As a matter of fact, the Vs have not been happy between the sheets for some time.  Lest you go calling Dr. Ruth, remember, we are speaking of sheets.



For some context, let's start at the beginning.  I made the mistake of purchasing a set of Egyptian cotton sheets with some crazy thread count, back in the day, pre-child, when I had some discretionary moola and no brains.  The mister was furious because they were very spendyBut the joke was on him because they are most the comfortable sheets, EVER and have proven to be his favorite sheets.  They have become our gold standard for sheet approval.  I have supplemented the rotation with other sets, of similar thread count and touted quality as well as other more affordable options known for comfort and washability.  All of which, we hate.  They are either too swishy, or too rough, or too shiny, or just plain uncomfortable.  Problem is, 8 years later, the gold standard are kaput, worn out, and almost threadbare. 

I just scooped up a set of deeply discounted well-known ‘luxury’ sheets that were still very spendy with the discount, and I could not hate them more.  Swishy, shiny, and rough.  And I am quite convinced that the pillow cases are giving me headaches.  But then again, it might also be that extra glass of wine.  But that’s not the point, the point is, I need help finding a sheet set that will pass muster.  What kind of sheets do you swear by?!


These are the options that are currently on my radar:



1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6




What is your favorite bedding and why?  Have you tried any of the above?  I need help because this bed needs some new love between the sheets...

All photos, styling, and layouts by Emily Vanderputten
kisses,  mrs. V

10 comments:

Kim said...

Funny you should mention this ... I just ordered some Crane and Company because Jennifer at TPP told me to. I do as I am told! The reason I acted quickly is because my husband announce our sheets were "pilly" and he was correct. It was gross. I will give you a report when I receive them. I went with all white scalloped edge. I already love them! xo

Unknown said...

I have Serena and Lily's Gobi sheets. They are pretty good - I would label them firmly in the middle section of affordable "luxury." Frette,they are not. I am dying to try Matouk, though! Report back, please!

Unknown said...

I love my Pottery Barn monogrammed sheets. They stay crisp for years and feel great. I want to try Crane and Canopy, too. Let's see what Kim says. xo Nancy

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

I hate crunchy sheets! I too had crazy good 1000 thread count sheets that wore out and bought some from Overstock that I like. My Dad bought me a set of Palais Royal Egyptian cotton sheets that are OK but just OK. Overstock is the best deal I could find for the 1000 thread count sheets.

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

When you figure this out let me know. I'm not even going to show you the sorry state of my sheet situation.

Unknown said...

Hi! Can you tell me where you got your nightstands? Thanks!

Unknown said...

Where did you get your nightstands? Thanks!

Karen of Fair Oaks said...

I do sympathize with your sheet dilemma - through the years I've purchased many brands hoping to find the wonderful soft comfort that I need. Upon occasion I have actually got out of bed and removed new sheets from the bed because they felt too rough to sleep on. A few years ago I bought SDH Legna and they sleep like soft clouds - but the price keeps going higher and higher so replacing them could hurt! Within a brand there are great differences between fabrics - I've had good and bad luck with Sferra - not so good with Peacock Alley. I would love to find a super soft replacement for the Legna.

Julie Khuu | Haute Khuuture said...

I'm really simple when it comes to my bedding...anything over 600 thread count should suffice and I always stay away from the "European" variety that boasts over 1000 tc...total BS since it pills like crazy and it just poly blend. I'm a cotton gal myself since the fur babies need constant cuddling :D

Great roundup! If you have a moment, would love to get your thoughts on my latest design!

xo-Julie
Peace. Love. LOL!

Haute Khuuture Blog

Cyndi J said...

Abby has this post about sheets: http://www.abbyminteriorsblog.com/2014/10/my-best-kept-secret-for-your-bedroom.html#.VDb45_ldU1I