the Acrylic Tray-a-nator 3000
This is the start of a semi-regular series where I attempt a supercalifab project that I have likely seen elsewhere.
So ya’ll know those super awesome and super expensive lucite trays that are all over the place right now. I have been lusting for one for some time but they are just too spendy.
Imagine my glee when I discovered a DIY version on Pinterest. And then I discovered a new-to-me blog Sanity Fair that I am loving right now. I love when that happens. A lot like falling down the rabbit hole into a new wonderland of inspiration! Check her out and her how-to.
|This is SFs fab DIY tray|
And here is mine. Although easy enough, I should say I am not totally satisfied with my results. I made two attempts. The first one I made my own patterned paper (I will talk about in a follow-up post) and the second I used a heavier wrapping paper.
|Blocked out our address|
Looks great from a distance but if you look up close you can see pockets where the ModPodge didn't totally adhere. I thought this was because this paper was not thick enough. But I got the same results on the second tray using much heavier wrapping paper. Next time I think I will use a spray adhesive to see if it yields cleaner results.
|second tray using wrapping paper - blocked out address|
If you look closely on the inside of the blue box you can see those air pockets. Boo. Will try these again and let ya know...
kisses, mrs. V