6.12.2012

The Food Chronicles - Roasted Chicken and Shallots + Strawberry Watermelon over Arugula


Another Simple Chicken Recipe & the Perfect Summer Salad

It has been a while since I did a foodie post so here is another super easy weeknight chicken (shocker) recipe and an insanely good strawberry & watermelon salad that I made this evening.  Both are super easy and quick.  I sometimes forget how little jazzy j-ing I need to do with quality fresh ingredients.   The chicken recipe is from an old Martha Stewart Living issue and I found the salad recipe on foodiecrush.com, to which I would ordinarily link but my AVG is screaming that the site may be compromised.  So enter at your own risk.





season generously with salt and pepper, more than you think

if shallots are really big, I will quarter them

I tuck the shallots in between all the pieces and then I season with more S & P

the butter results in a nice browned skin

assemble this right before serving as the watermelon tends to sog things up a bit

I use always use a block of feta (in water if possible) and simply crumble with a fork -
tastes much better than the pre-crumbled stuff


This roasted chicken is delicious with couscous or rice.  In the winter, I serve it with creamy polenta or some cheesy grits. The sweetness of the watermelon is a perfect counter point to the peppery arugula.  Next time I will add a tad more balsamic vinegar as I like my salad dressing to have a little more bite. Enjoy!


All photos and layouts by mrs. V
kisses, mrs. V


No comments: