10.23.2014

One Room Challenge Linking Event - Week 4





Well Judas Priest we are already at Week 4 of the One Room Challenge™ link up - where rubber meets the road for most folks.  Plans get modified as set backs cause course corrections and to-do lists get slashed to the vital few that can realistically still get completed.  Once again, I find myself in week 4 with no paint on the walls.  But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.  To catch up on weeks 1-3, click on the links below:

WEEK 1:  Plan + Space - a moody bathroom refresh
WEEK 2:  Process - where indecision reigns supreme
WEEK 3:  Progress + Setbacks - in which the heroine calls upon Mame Dennis
WEEK 4:  Lighting + Paint - Plan Revisions
WEEK 5:  Plan Revisions - Lights + Paint
WEEK 6:  Reveal

Not going to belabor the point, but I am behind.  This is going to be a short one today.  I should be discussing paint and lighting this week but I am still waiting on some prep work to cure before I can paint so I will talk about a few plan revisions instead.  

I spent this week caulking like a mo fo so that the gaps in the beadboard, trim, and crown molding, which I pointed out in week one would no longer be noticeable.  These small details will likely go unnoticed by most but they have driven me crazy for 6 years.  Small victories for workmanship.  I’ll spare you the details, but me on a ladder straddling the tub wielding a caulk gun over my head made for some pretty entertaining moments.  My fingers may or may not have been stuck to my hair when it was all said and done.

Caulking and spackle.  Burned up hull of a light.  Old paint color.  Empty loo.
And one brass knob, for those with eagle eyes.


As to lighting, this past week was full of fireworks.  That overhead boob/fan combo that I complained about last Thursday morning literally assploded on Thursday evening.  As predicted, pyrotechnics and we haven’t even tackled the sconces yet.  I cannot make this shiz up.  I flipped the switch in the middle of the night and it responded with a *poof.* Dark electrical burn marks.  Bad karma or divine providence?  I’ll let you decide.  Alls I know is that Momma V is getting a new overhead light in addition to sconces.  Bang bang.


#brasstastic

In other news, goodies are arriving daily and I just cannot wait to get this room put together.  I keep calling it my bath-o-brass.  The brass shower rod arrived along with the components to make a lucite towel rod.  The switch plates are heavy and heavenly.  My sconces came and let me just say deee-vine.  I squealed with glee.  I have every digit crossed that nothing goes wrong with the sconce installation.  Very tight squeeze and I fear a stud in the corner might make it very tricky.  As it turns out, the green mirror I bought is too big with the sconces so I went on a mad dash today to locate a new one and find one I did.  Divine providence strikes again.  I'll save that along with the full monty on the sconces for reveal day.

When lead times prove too long, or worse, you get no response from sellers, build your own

dreams intersecting with reality


I picked up Mrs. Robinson.  She is every bit as fabulous and bitchy in person as on screen.  Turns out she is larger than life.  I planned on re-framing her but the frame in which I found her is a decent wood one so I may just paint it to save a few bones.  A pesky outlet will prevent me from hanging her at the proper height above the toilet where I had planned on hanging her.




Now she will have to go on the opposite wall, which, as it turns out, is perfect because it is a much larger expanse plus I purchased another stunner from Jenny Andrews Anderson that will take pride of place over the loo.  CAN NOT wait for it to arrive.  And yes, I just said you would have to wait until reveal week to see the full monty but I was never any good at keeping promises.  This is sort of what the situation will look like. The mirror I picked up today is similar in feel to the one below...




I need the lighting installs to go off without a hitch this wknd so that I can start painting on Monday.  Let’s have a collective moment of silence for the mister – he gets real pissy when he has to crawl up in the attic space and run electrical.  I’m guessing it has something to do with dark, cramped spaces, populated with spiders the size of Kansas.  I’m already getting the silent treatment.  Whatever.

I told him it could be worse.  The spiders could be the size of dogs with 2” fangs.  Like the new ones discovered in some tropical rain forest.  Seriously, wtf?  I won't even post a picture because when I saw it I puked in my mouth and lost feeling in my face.  effing spiders.


Check out what the other folks are up to this week.

All designs, layouts, and photos by Emily Vanderputten

kisses,  mrs. V

34 comments:

SHERRY HART said...

I just saw a picture of that spider and I had to read about it which is wrong on so many levels....kind of like standing on a ledge and feeling the urge to jump. Why would I subject myself to even thinking that there really is a spider that big? Oh yeah back to your room.....it is going to be bonkers....in the best way possible!

Krystine @ www.KrystineEdwards.com said...

Oh no! I'm always making a mess with electrical! I'm jealous on all of your arrivals. I'm SO behind! You are killing it!! I'm excited to see more!

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

Fingers crossed for Mister V over here. I think it very cool that you making your own Lucite towel bar.

Ange said...

Oh man, I want the full month now but I will bee patient and wait! Really can't wait to see the lucite bath fixture you are making. This whole room is going to be fabulous!

MFAMB said...

i am in a similar state of nothingness over here. things are arriving. some of the paint is up. but nothing looks good yet. and jesus help me i hope it does. no real way of knowing yet. don't you love how i come over here and talk about my problems on your post? i'm the worst.
your bathroom is going to look amazing tho. and that painting is shipping out tomorrow.
xx

Vanessa@decor happy said...

This is going to be so good! Loving all the brass and your DIY skills are impressive. Can't wait for reveal day.

alison giese Interiors said...

Straight up jelly over that mirror find, no bones about about it. Getting a bit o the silent treatment from my man, too, but the story is not nearly as good as one involving boob lights.
ag

P.S. - Did you try contacting lux holdups (etsy co Christine used?) If so, they blew me off until I acted like a stalker, so, ya know, craziness pays off.
xo, chica!

kate@willowinteriors said...

Ugh bead board, wood paneling, caulking, sanding, painting...it's no wonder we're not all alcoholics after the ORC (wait, scratch that, too late here, already there);)
Brass kick-ass goodness everywhere, then you throw in that fabric, lucite!!, a Jenny original and Mrs. Robinson and you're talking perfection! Good luck this week!

Unknown said...

Husband will get over it...they always do. Mine was spewing something under his breath about how we're always renovating the other day and I'm whateves about his dismay...part of the package you signed up for misters;)
This bathroom is going to kill on many many levels- my fave is the art fantasitca...brill.
And again, your posts are my favourite. Good shiz in written form to be sure.

Shannon said...

This is going to look SO GOOD! I love all of the brass goodies, and Mrs. Robinson is my favorite print ever. She's so sassy!

LiveLaughDecorate said...

So I kinda died from so many aspects of this post. A, that you said it would be short and sweet
B. the thought of you wielding that caulk gun while straddling the bathtub. Priceless
C. Brass. Everything
d. Mrs. Robinson

It's just all too hilarious. And a great backdrop for what is sure to be an amazing reveal. Two more weeks to go! We'll celebrate with virtual champagne.

Unknown said...

Haha! Shall we organize a support group for designer's husbands? After all the drilling and painting and that, of course. Can't wait to see your DIY lucite job!! This is all going to be amazing!

Angela, Blue i Style said...

Oooh...so many fabulous details! Love!

Casa Vilora Interiors said...

I know it will be a fabulous reveal, even when we get off track a bit.

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

what is it with men and attics? mine always has an excuse not to do what I ask when the attic is involved. gosh this is going to be gorgeous!!!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE your plans for the bathroom! I'm doing a bathroom makeover as well (not for the ORC) and am dying for brass/gold accents but I actually found it difficult to find them. Where did you find your amazing sconces and accessories!?

hammerandheelsblog.com

Sam | Away She Went said...

I can't wait to see the sconces and everything put together in the room! I know it's going to be amazing!

P.S. That giant spider made me want to burn down the entire jungle! Ugh! I'm getting creeped out just thinking about it.

Unknown said...

Ha! My husband just walked out on me whilst I was trying to discuss how I'm freaking out about the bathroom not getting done. Hoping our marriage survives another makeover. Love your hardware and the mood board is TDF!!

aquahaus said...

You are killing me. To date, I never heard the word assploded, but it is awesome. much like your bathroom plans. just gorgeousness.

Mallory said...

You are cracking me up...as usual! Of course here we are again, with the same towel bar dilemma. I have a feeling we talked to the same seller and got the same response. The difference is that you're crafty and I just settled for solid brass. wah wah

Tiffany said...

Oh, just plain love. And mrs Robinson? God she just reeks of self confidence and sex.

Kim said...

LOVE ... and so worth the silent treatment. I have this sick desire to go look up the spider. I will probably do it before the day is over. Back to your bathroom ... I cannot wait!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Love it, you are rocking it! I hate spiders, and never care what my husband thinks. Good luck with the light.

Unknown said...

seriously you kill me! i look forward to the commentary every week. Love the hardware...can't wait for next week {hope you have paint}

pam {simple details} said...

Mrs. V - dying over here at your commentary and board!! All digits crossed for you that it's a good week, and your husband shows up for his gig in the attic! :)

designchic said...

Can't wait to see the art and the DIY lucite towel bars are going to be amazing!!

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

love, love the board...that mirror!! and the fabric for the shower curtain is amazing. Good luck with the sconce installation

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

I've got my fingers and cocktail straws crossed for you that all the lighting goes off without a hitch. And if it doesn't feel free to send it to me.

Jessica | Petal + Ply said...

Wow!! This is going to be one stunning redo! Can't wait to see that light installed, and of course the lucite towel bar.

Carrie said...

This just gets better and better! Love Mrs. Robinson and the abstract.

Unknown said...

I see our connection . . . black, gold and some animal print! Love the addition of Mrs. Robinson. Can't wait to see it all pulled together!

Best,
Elaine
www.OMGlifestyle.com

Kristen @ Pursuing Vintage said...

I love all the brass, and can't wait to see your lucite towel bar! We'll need details on that when you get it installed!

Erin @ Suburban Bitches said...

At first I thought week 3 said progress and snacks- which sounds like the best week ever to me! Keep it up- two week to awesomeness!!!

Beth of designPOST Interiors said...

If you bring up that spider again, I'm out. Seriously sick and what my nightmares are made of. As for you room I am so jealous of your art and I am dying to see the sconces!