3.27.2012

Mid-Life Career Shifts


Pipe Dreams…
I will let you in on a little secret.  I am going to share one of my dreams with you.  I want to turn my passions into a career.  All this stuff that I wax poetic about - somehow, some way I want to do these things FOR A LIVING.  I want to build a Chez V lifestyle brand of sorts.  Interiors, styling, entertaining, party planning, and product development all wrapped up with a darling little Chez V bow.  At the heart of it is my overwhelming desire to inspire others.







But that is only part of the story.  You see, it is time for me to go back to work.  And it is sort of a milestone year in my life, as by the end of it, I will officially become a ‘woman of a certain age.’  That scares the hell out of me. 













I have been so fortunate to be able to spend these first few years at home with my daughter.  Something my mother could never do.  And that has affected me over the years in different ways.  So it is very important for me to be home with Pieti, for as long as possible.  But now, we really need two incomes.








I could go back to my sweet spot of coaching operational excellence, continuous improvement, and behavioral leadership development.  Or I could follow my gut which is screaming at me to take a leap of faith to pursue my more creative passions.  So many times have I advised to an unfulfilled mentee, ‘You’re never too old or too young to start being the person you have always wanted to be.’  Funny how it is most difficult to follow our own counsel.










If ever there was a time for me to swerve in my career path, this is it.     The game has changed significantly in just the last few years.  Social media has leveled the playing field and people are creating their own roles and jobs doing things they truly love.  I want some of that action.

















If I have to spend time away from my daughter, I would much rather be doing something that I REALLY love than just doing something at which I am really good.  mr. V does not think it is possible to make a living doing this sort of stuff.  And he might be right.  But in this one case, I REALLY want him to be wrong.


Have any of you out there taken a mid-life leap of faith?


all photos by me
kisses,  mrs. V

9 comments:

Three Sisterz said...

If anyone can do it it's you! You can make this a career. Follow your passion and the rest will follow. You're off to a great start with this well written blog and all the wonderful ideas you have shared.

Keep it up!

~Courtenay

Maggie said...

I just became a follower vis-a-vis Scott on his blogsite. You are most amazing! The upgrades to your home and your wanting to expand your horizons are all good, good things. Really like your blog and very entertained by the great stuff. Everything just keeps getting better (I went back to the beginning). Kudos!

Jess said...

I've enjoyed your blog for some time and can totally see your vision happening for you! Everything starts with a single step, no? :)

mrs. V | Chez V said...

Welcome Maggie! Thanks for the kinds words.

Court - you are always such a great cheerleader.

mrs. V | Chez V said...

Thanks Jess. Yes, why does that single step seem so daunting? I am going to get out there and start working that vision, one step at a time!

Michelle said...

DO IT!!! Do not let anyone tell you no (even if it is your sweet husband!!) I am in the process of making all of this happen right now and I am totally excited/scared. If you are passionate, things will fall into place!

Romance, Romance, Romance said...

I hope you follow your dream Mrs. V.

Cindy * GoodHaus Design said...

I'm right there with you. I'm in my mid-40s (shhhh) and work a well paying and boring desk job that we cannot do without for the near future. I have 2 kids and 4 stepkiddos. I started my own small business on the side (sewing, revamping furniture, etc.) and have decided I want to combine that with interior design. My first step? I signed up for a class. I don't know how I can possibly juggle it all, but I feel in my soul that I need to try.

Do you know about the blog Adventures of a 40 Year Old Intern? Check Holly out. I'm eager to follow your journey.

mrs. V | Chez V said...

Cindy - bravo for you for taking that first step. Great idea. Will be excited to hear how it goes. You will find a way. Thanks for the blog suggestion. I will check Holly out.