3.20.2012

Tales From the Projects - Stump Planters


Tree Stumps…

Ideas are brewing over here.  I dig tree stumps.  Not exactly sure why, but I think it has something to do with the life that was once contained within.  And the brilliant patterns and textures of wood.

I’ve got stumps on the porch that double as cocktail tables and foot rests for our rocking chairs.  I have stumps on the back patio that serve as perches to elevate potted specimens.  And now I have a stump fashioned into a planter itself.  I love it.


My in-laws can basically do anything but they are particularly good with wood.  My mother-in-law fashioned this planter for me and lined it with copper to make it a bit more durable for plantings. 


I envision all sorts of interesting applications for a planter/footed vessel such as this.  I planted violas because I was antsy to get some color outside.  But next I might plant some succulents and place this on my farm table in the kitchen or flowering bulbs + moss for Easter.

Would you buy something like this?  Inquiring minds want to know.

kisses,  mrs. V

3 comments:

Three Sisterz said...

I want five. Not even kidding. How much?

mrs. V | Chez V said...

Court - figuring out pricing depending on how long it takes me to make one but based on time and sizing - definitely somewhere in the $139 - 149 range w/o plants. And I can probably do some smaller ones too for less. For local folks, I am thinking of doing Mother's Day ones with plantings that can be picked up or delivered. Crazy or a good idea? What do you think?

Three Sisterz said...

They are soo beautiful! I think it's a great idea. You need to take them to a high end garden center. Check out Terrain at Styers, here in PA. It's a garden center owned by Anthropology and it's fabulous! I can totally see these being sold there.

http://www.shopterrain.com/