11.16.2014

Entertaining | Mix & Match

People who love to eat are always the best people.

                                                                                Julia Child


There are few things I enjoy more than cooking for others.  Having come from a long Greek line of food pushers, it is simply what I do.  I cook for my family daily and whenever the occasion calls for it, I cook for others.  If you have a new baby, I will bring food.  If you win the Pulitzer Prize, I will bring food.  If you have a death in the family, I will bring food.  If you leave the restroom trailing toilet paper from your shoe, I will bring food.  This is how I celebrate my family and friends, in good times and bad.  Much like my Yia Yia, I show my love through cooking. 

This love of cooking has naturally extended to entertaining. I entertain at home quite often.  Preparing a delicious meal and setting a pretty table thrills me to no end.  I relish any opportunity to raid my china stash.  I have an incurable habit of collecting it so I reason that I should use it as often as possible.  We use my grandmother’s vintage blue willow collection for our everyday dishes, which I have been augmenting since college graduation.  Just last weekend, my mother dropped off my Yia Yia’s blue willow to augment my collection – it was very much like Christmas come early.





The other day I had a few friends by for dinner and set this festive table.  Almost always, I mix patterns and color, just like I do with my interiors.  The pink poinsettias and artichokes are a nod to the holiday season without being overtly Christmasy too early or Turkeyfied too predictable.  No red and green for me, or heaven forbid, brown and boring.  I do appreciate brown, as evidenced in my bathroom, just not in any predictable manner like a Turkey Day table setting.  Instead, you will get a crazy mix of color and pattern at my table, even on major holidays.  I’m frisky like that.



















SOURCES:

monogram napkins | Chinoiserie plates | blue Villeroy & Boch goblets | gold chargers | Blue Willow bowls | green Limoges plates | bamboo tray | placemats | silver  | pineapple print | pink candles

Items without links are things that I have inherited.  My holiday tables will be a similar riot of color with a few more seasonal tweaks here and there.  My equation for a frisky, gorgeous table always starts with classic elements. Classic elements, like bamboo, rattan, and silver help to keep the look grounded, while the mix of unexpected color, pattern, and fresh produce keep the look fresh and frisky. 




I encourage you to not only entertain more this season, but to do so colorfully. #colorismyfavoritecolor

In my book, people who love to mix color daringly are always the best people too!



All designs, layouts, styling, and photos by Emily Vanderputten

kissesmrs. V

12 comments:

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

I love frisky tablescapes!

The Pink Pagoda said...

This isn't easy to do, and you do it beautifully. Gorgeous design, styling and photography!

Unknown said...

Seriously fabulous!

C a i t l i n said...

Your post made me realize that I've been setting my table like a Quaker!!! It's all white and sparse and utilitarian. Maybe it's time to change things up a bit. Thanks for the inspo.

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Good Morning Mrs. V! Just found your blog through Pink Pagoda and have fallen in love. You've got great style and a wonderful sense of humor - the perfect combo for a fabulous blog! I will definitely be back and follow you on Instagram! Hope your week is full of color!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

You've got the gift my friend!

The enchanted home said...

Hi found you via Pink Pagoda and so happy I did....we share a love of blue and white and chinoiserie! The pictures are breathtaking...I share your aesthetic.....and you have demonstrated to perfection that blue and white goes with everything!

Nice to "meet" you!

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

I love it!! and am linking to it tomorrow. What a fab hostess you are!! What a beautiful setting.

Christina Perraki said...

Hello Mrs V. I would really love to read your book. Especially now that i know you have greek roots...just kidding. Beautiful pictures and a beautiful blog. Will be following!

Unknown said...

I love your tablescapes and styling! Happy Thanksgiving! xo Nancy

SHERRY HART said...

Sometimes I hate you. Cause you are so good with that stuff.....I think it is just because I am lazy:( Styler extraordinar........

Simply LKJ said...

Hi, just found you through Paige, The Pink Clutch. Gorgeous table setting. I look forward to reading more about your lovely home and family!!