1.20.2012

DIY Acrylic Tray


the Acrylic Tray-a-nator 3000

This is the start of a semi-regular series where I attempt a supercalifab project that I have likely seen elsewhere.
 
So ya’ll know those super awesome and super expensive lucite trays that are all over the place right now.  I have been lusting for one for some time but they are just too spendy.

Imagine my glee when I discovered a DIY version on Pinterest.  And then I discovered a new-to-me blog Sanity Fair that I am loving right now.  I love when that happens.  A lot like falling down the rabbit hole into a new wonderland of inspiration!  Check her out and her how-to.

This is SFs fab DIY tray

And here is mine.  Although easy enough, I should say I am not totally satisfied with my results.  I made two attempts.  The first one I made my own patterned paper (I will talk about in a follow-up post) and the second I used a heavier wrapping paper.


Blocked out our address


Looks great from a distance but if you look up close you can see pockets where the ModPodge didn't totally adhere.  I thought this was because this paper was not thick enough.  But I got the same results on the second tray using much heavier wrapping paper.  Next time I think I will use a spray adhesive to see if it yields cleaner results.

second tray using wrapping paper - blocked out address

If you look closely on the inside of the blue box you can see those air pockets.  Boo.  Will try these again and let ya know...

kisses,  mrs. V
 

No comments: