2.17.2012

Current Trends - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down


Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

I’ll be the first to admit to being a bandwagon jumper.  I’ve got no shame in my game.  If it’s got enough momentum or excessive shiny sparkle I am ALL IN.  I should say though that most of the time, in retrospect, I hang my head in shame and think why did I drink that koolaidSometimes, ya just gotta let some bandwagons pass you right on by.  Harem pants weren’t cool when MC Hammer rocked them and they are not cool now.


image via

Nice front butt.

In order to lend some editorial cred to this blog, I am going to attempt to do some regular features.  This feature is a riff on George’s favorite game THUMBS UP or THUMBS DOWN.  On Fridays, we will play THUMBS UP or THUMBS DOWN on current fashion or styling trends.  We will determine whether or not to jump on the bandwagon.

To prove that my fashion sense is too legit to quit, here is my scientific method.  In some cases, I will test drive a look.  In other cases, I will simply pass judgement.  Sometimes, I may dismiss something out of hand, not even worthy of discussion because it is silly.  In extreme fashion emergencies, I will dash my glass of wine at the monitor and scream, noooooooooo!!!!  Or hit the BUY IT NOW button. 

For example, things not up for discussion because they are UGLY:  Uggs and high-heeled clogs.  I don't care how comfortable they are.  In the Chez V world we ALWAYS sacrifice comfort over appearance.  It's called FORM BEFORE FUNCTION.  Uggs make you look short and stumpy even if you are 10 feet tall and can hide behind a garden hose.


So without further ado, we shall discuss TOP KNOTS today.  For those of you who have been hiding under a rock or don’t read the interwebs, that’s streetspeak for a bun situated on the top of your ding dang head.


Image via

Here we have the lovely Tulip Louise sporting one at Alt Summit.  Looking great so far.  And again here...


image via

Still looking good.  Things of note:  she appears to have LOTS of hair.  It looks thick.  And she's gorgeous and young.





And here I am rocking my blonde version.   While I was going for an elegant sylph-like dancer look, my daughter said, 'yucky, you look like a weird teacher.'  Which I interpret as looking old and severe.







mrs. V’s verdict:  THUMBS DOWN for me






So according to Chez V TV, which is the REAL reality tv, I think topknots can be rocked and look good if you have tons of hair which gives the actual bun volume.  And preferably if you don't have a river of wrinkles on your face like I do.  And probably better on tall people.  And this is just a personal preference but I think it looks better on darker hair tones.  Or it could just be me.  As a bridesmaid in one of my besties weddings I thought I pulled off an oh so chic chignon, but in reality it looked like I was walking around with a texas-sized cheese danish on the back of my head. That’s all folks.  Happy Friday.

kisses,  mrs. V


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make me weep with laughter. Oh how I miss you, Mister Sister!!

Romance, Romance, Romance said...

I know this is a late post but, I think Top Knots should be left to little girls the monster's age. Now that would look just darling on her.