2.14.2012

A Tale from the Projects - Brass Accents


Brasstastic
So I have been on a brass kick.  Yes, I am aware it is ALL the rage right now.  But I have been a brass fan for a long time.  As I look around Chez V I spy hints of it all over the place.

brass in the tile room

elephant was a consignment score & pheasants were my grandmother's

larger pheasant was also my grandmother's

I frequent thrift stores, consignment shops and antique malls on the regular.  And I can never pass up a brass animal.  I don’t know what it is.

thrift store compote

The brass pig was picked up in Greece by my in-laws decades ago and I rescued that brass beauty in the background from obscurity at the bottom of a box at Goodwill.  $5 dollars. 

Lee Kleinhelter's office space via Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles

Look familiar?  She is probably charging a bazillion for one in her store.  Mine is destined for a dark shade too.  Thinking of gold leafing the inside of the shade...

a previous LR configuration

And then there was that table.  I stalked this table last year for weeks. Bizzo, you’re coming home with me, I whispered to her sweet curves.  Finally the dealer was having a 50% sale and WHAM BAM, lady friend was mine.


Mr. V thought I had absolutely lost my marbles when I suggested brass hardware during the kitchen face lift.  You see, this was 2 years ago, before brass was BACK.  Then, I had a heck of a time sourcing brass hardware that didn’t cost 3 paychecks and kidney.  Now you can find brass knobs at Home Depot thanks to good ol’ Martha.

it took 5 yrs of begging before mr. V let me paint those cabinets

BEFORE - all shades of depressing poo brown

Stylist Sasha Seymour's kitchen featured in Canadian House & Home
So when this image hit the airwaves I was equal parts awe-struck and pissed.  Because I already had brass hardware in my kitchen.  So much for being unique.  Don’t ya just hate when that happens?!  To be sure, I certainly wasn’t the first, but it still stung a little.  Of course, this was all pre-blog days.  But why didn’t I think of brass kickplates?!  Argh!!  Brilliant.
 


And, of course, the brass hardware lead me on the search for the perfect light fixture over the banquette.  I wanted something vintage yet modish.  And it had to be unique.  I squealed with glee when I found this lady friend at Ohio Valley Antiques.  I love love love her.  

Decorative Carpets in LA via

And then I stumbled upon this…that cheatin' lady.  So much for being unique, AGAIN.
kisses,  mrs. V
 

No comments: