2.21.2012

The Food Chronicles - Ina's Herb-marinated Pork


Ina, Let’s be Friends

I have a confession to make.  I have pretend friendships.  LOTS of them.  One such friendship is with Ina Garten.  I adore her and her darling husband, Jeffrey.  I just know we would be the best of friends.  Often have I imagined laughing together over a glass of rose in her barn kitchen, as a weekend guest.  Can’t you just imagine sharing a splendid evening with those two love birds?!



Ina, you shouldn't have...

Ina has never let me down.  When I am looking for a no-fail recipe, especially when entertaining, I almost always turn to one of hers.  She can do no wrong in my eyes – very few of her recipes disappoint at Chez V.  Although, I should say, that I almost always adjust recipes once I have test driven them as is.  And Ina’s are no exception.



Her herb-marinated pork tenderloin recipe from Back to Basics is on heavy rotation at our house, especially during the summer when we can finish them off over charcoal.  Every time I serve this, people rave and ask for the recipe.  Today, I am using a pork loin because it looked better than the tenderloins.








A cast iron skillet yields the best results, hands down.  But an all-clad will work too.  And it goes without saying, that in order to get perfectly cooked meat, a meat thermometer and some rest time are imperative.  mr. V is ridiculously impatient so I have to guard the tented meat with a very sharp knife in hand…










My version is only slightly modified – I use a little less lemon, garlic, and rosemary.  Ina takes hers out of the oven at 137 degrees F but I leave mine in until between 140 - 144 degrees F because mr. V prefers his meat on the done side.  Not me.  






The left over meat is even better the next day on sandwiches.  At Chez V, we re-heat the meat, melt white american cheese over the top, place it on thin Pepperidge Farm bread and top with thinly sliced green onions.  Heaven.

Enjoy!
kisses,  mrs. V

No comments: